Whether you are building a home from the ground up or laying the foundation of an extensive commercial project, ‘Mixed concrete’ is the right choice for all your construction undertakings.
Most contractors & architecture experts prefer Ready-mixed concrete over the conventional alternatives for robust & durable construction.
However, despite its popularity, some people have queries and misconceptions related to ready-mix-concrete construction.
This blog will delve into the most commonly asked questions about ready concrete mix in 2021- ingredients, application, benefits, and current usage guidelines.
Are you considering ready mixed concrete for your next project? This guide by the experts of RMS Concrete will help you understand everything you need to know about pre-mixed concrete and aid you in the decision-making process.
Questions Regarding The Applications Of Ready Mixed Concrete
1. What is pre-mixed concrete? Is it different from Cement?
Most commonly, people misinterpret that cement and ready mixed concrete are the same components. However, it is not the case.
The mixed concrete is construction material prepared at a concrete plant or in transit, and the final mixture is poured at the project location. This mix is prepared by combining appropriate proportions of cement, water, aggregates and other materials.
On the other hand, Cement is a finely crushed powder manufactured from limestone and other ingredients, heated at high temperatures to achieve the desired consistency. The stone-sized fragments are then processed into a fine powder known as cement powder.
In simple terms, Cement is an integral ingredient used in concrete preparation, whereas “ready mixed concrete” is the final mixture prepared by blending multiple elements.
2. Is it possible to carry out DIY construction projects with ready mixed concrete?
Yes, it is possible to work on a do-it-yourself project with ready mixed concrete; however, it is not recommended.
It is crucial to follow recommended practices and utilize high-standard equipment when working with concrete. If not, the construction quality can be affected adversely.
Therefore, we do not recommend working without professional assistance. You should work on DIY projects only if you have adequate knowledge about the following –
- Concrete mix preparation.
- Correct pouring practices.
- Concrete finishing.
- Curing methods.
- Regulations about concrete pumps and trucks.
3. What is the ideal season to work with concrete?
Ideally, it is recommended to conduct the concrete laying and pouring undertakings in hot/moderate weather conditions. By doing so, you can ensure the faster setting of concrete and prevent it from cracking.
However, suppose your construction site is located at a place that has cold weather during most of the months. In that case, the contractors should adhere to certain preventive practices to avoid the inferior quality of concrete.
These practices include-
- Using Admixtures – For faster curing.
- Placing heat curing boxes.
- Using good-quality concrete mix.
- Maintaining a consistent temperature after pouring by keeping it covered.
Questions Regarding The Advantages Of Ready Mixed Concrete
1. What are the main advantages of using mixed concrete over its alternatives?
The demand for Ready-mixed concrete is growing consistently in both residential and commercial undertakings. Some of the primary advantages of using pre-prepared concrete are as follows –
- Hassle-free concrete pouring.
- Reduction in labour cost – by eliminating the process of on-site concrete mixing.
- Concrete wastage can be minimized.
- Timely delivery of concrete.
- Environmentally friendly process.
- Better structural integrity & durability of the construction.
2. Is ready mix concrete cheaper than on-site mix?
Yes. Acquiring ready mixed concrete from a reputable company will save you the cost of purchasing each raw material separately. Moreover, you can also save labour and storage costs and bring down the overall cost by minimizing wastage.
While the prices of high-quality concrete can be slightly higher than its sub-standard alternatives, the advantages mentioned above will undoubtedly make your investment worthwhile.
Questions About Concrete Safety Guidelines
1. What safety guidelines should be followed while working with the concrete mix?
It is imperative to follow safety guidelines while working with concrete. If not, it can lead to problems like skin irritation, burns or eye damage.
The following precautions should be followed when working with concrete –
- Keep your eyes and hands protected at all times with protective gloves and goggles.
- Wear waterproof boots when working with wet concrete.
- If the clothing is contaminated with concrete, change immediately and wash away the affected area.
- Consult a medical professional if you face severe discomfort or persistent problems.
2. How to prepare the project site for safe and hassle-free concrete delivery?
The concrete delivery, pouring and curing processes are usually hassle-free when working with a reputed concrete mix company. However, there are some things that you should keep in mind while preparing for delivery.
Firstly, you should clear out the dust and debris from the site before the concrete pump arrives on your site. Secondly, make sure that the workers are appropriately dressed and are following all the safety guidelines.
Lastly, make sure that your neighbours are aware of the concrete delivery so they can make the necessary arrangements from their side.
Several questions come to one’s mind while placing the order for Ready mix concrete or working with a concrete mixture.
We hope that this article will come in handy to solve your queries. For more information on Mixed concrete or placing your concrete order, contact us today.